How many of these first lines from famous children's books do you recognise? Post the answer to any that you know. There will be merits for the first person to get each one and a prize for the person who gets the most.
1. I disappeared on the night before my twelfth birthday.
2. There was a hand in the darkness and it held a knife.
3. Gordon Edgley's sudden death came as a shock to everyone- not least himself.
4. 'Yes,' said Tom bluntly, on opening the front door. 'What d'you want?'
5. Maths exams! Ugh!
6. First of all, let me get something straight: this is a JOURNAL, not a diary.
7. Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy.
8. When my parents split up they didn't know what to do with me.
9. Dorothy lived in the midst of the great Kansas prairies, with Uncle Henry, who was a farmer, and Aunt Em, who was the farmer's wife.
10. When I wake up the other side of the bed is cold.