Tuesday 2 December 2014

Year 4 reviews

John Townsend is one of our favourite authors at WEJS (especially the Barney books), and we always like it when he has a new book out. Dylan, from Year Four, has reviewed two of his latest ones. Jack has reviewed The Busker by Paul Jennings.

Terror of the Swamp by John Townsend

Beware! Enormous reptiles included. There are lots of words that ran through my head when I was trying to describe this book. They were: petrifying, thrilling, mysterious and chilling. I really loved this book about a boy and his dad in the jungle. They had to face a lot of dangers and work as a team to survive. It has short chapters and doesn't take long to read. You will really enjoy this book if you like reading scary books, snakes or mysteries. I enjoyed this so much that I asked Mr Biddle if John Townsend can be our focus author next term.


(Mr Biddle's review: I liked this too! Straight into the action halfway down page one, and it doesn't let up until the end. Highly recommended for less enthusiastic readers in Year 4/5.)

Flashback by John Townsend

I read this the night after I read Terror of the Swamp. I enjoyed it but there wasn't as much action as in the other book. It's about a boy called Bernard. When he was younger, he did something really bad. Probably you couldn't do anything worse. But he did it for a good reason. He spends his whole life feeling guilty about what he has done until the right at the end. I can't really say anymore without spoiling it. But I will say if you like books about the war, and you like books that you can read quickly, then try this. You might be pleased that you did.



The Busker by Paul Jennings
This is one of the stories in Weirdest Stories by Paul Jennings. I'm enjoying it but I think the dog is going to die. Paul Jennings has written hundreds of stories, all with a twist, and they are enjoyed all over the world. I recommend this book to people who like books that makes them have lots of emotions, including happy and sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment